Monday, November 9, 2009

Stained Glass Projects







I have never posted pix of our stained glass but here are the last couple pieces. The top piece is in my livingroom away up high in the wall. I love this little piece. I drew it out and then started breaking glass. Kris always helps me with the finish work. He solders the outer edges for me, which I haven't actually had to do in years. Not my favorite part, so great he'll do it for me.

The second piece is the only one I bought a pattern for. I like making my own patterns, and I had to add to this one, but I did start out with a Tiffany pattern that I purchased. I blew it up to size at Kinko's, but it was too narrow. So I cut the pattern down the middle, added plain paper, and started drawing until I had what I wanted. (Hope Louis isn't ready to slap me for messing with his pattern). This is between our bedroom and master bath on Whidbey.

Lastly is our really cool window at the front of the house, Jamie's bedroom, on Whidbey. I wanted to do an iris window--I love iris. I made the pattern, cut all the glass, wrapped each piece in copper foil at home. Then we wrapped each piece in bubble wrap and cardboard, and shipped it "up home". Kris had to build a work table for the construction of this. We laid it all out on top of it's pattern on his massive table, and soldered it all together. This guy is 7 feet long so just imagine getting it up the ladders. It was heavy and ungainly, and scary to install! It is pretty though, and looks great from the street as well.

1 comment: